Want to be a qualified accountant? There are different study routes to becoming an accountant. Students may follow the academic route (study for a degree in accounting/finance that will give you some exemptions from part of the professional examinations) or professional route (join one of the bodies and become student member). You can study full-time or part-time by correspondence, self study, or evening class at a college/university.
Following are some of the world's leading professional accountancy bodies:
- AICPA, America - the largest professional association in North America.
- ACCA, UK - the largest and fastest-growing international accounting body.
- AIA, UK - a Recognised Qualifying Body (RQB) for company auditors under the Companies Act 1989.
- CICA, Canada - incorporated in 1902 by an act of the Government of Canada.
- CGA, Canada - the fastest growing and second largest professional accounting designation in Canada.
- Chartered Institute of Cost & Management Accountants (CICMA) - the premier provider of Professional Training and Certification on Cost and Management Accounting in Nigeria.
- CIMA UK - the world's largest management accounting institute.
- CIPFA - with headquarters in Westminster, London, Robert Street.
- CPA Australia - the largest professional accounting body in Australia.
- German CPA Society (GCPAS)
- Guild of Industrial,Commercial and Institutional Accountants, Canada (ICIA)
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- ICAA Australia - constituted by Royal Charter in 1928.
- ICAEW, UK - the UK's premier accountancy body, and the largest in Europe.
- ICAI, Ireland - a professional accountancy body in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
- ICAI, India - the second largest accounting body in the whole world.
- ICAS, Scotland, UK - the world's first professional body of accountants, receiving its Royal Charter in 1854.
- ICMAP, Pakistan - established in 1951.
- IFA, UK - the largest professional body of its type in the world.
- International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) - founded in 1977.
- MIA, Malaysia
- NZICA, New Zealand
- Ordre des Experts Comptables de Tunisie
- Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
- The Malta Institute of Accountants (MIA)
Top 10 Accounting Schools
Study ACCA in London
Top Accounting and Finance Programs
Universities offering ACCA Programs